The Barnet Social Prescribing Link Worker Service provides support and information to patients who have social or economic issues that affect their health and wellbeing.
Social prescribers take a holistic approach and give time to their patients to identify what matters most to them and what they feel they require in order to improve their circumstances and their wellbeing. From these conversations, social prescribers co-create an action plan with the patient to help them self-manage their concerns and signpost to appropriate services.
- adults (18+) who have a non-medical issue* that is affecting their health and wellbeing
- registered with a Barnet GP practice
- patient consent required.
*The service offers addiction support, anxiety and depression support, benefit support, bereavement support, cancer support, carer support, counselling, Covid-19 support, debt support, dementia support, diet and nutrition support, disability support, domestic violence support, education and information, emotional wellbeing support, employment support, falls support, financial advice, food support, housing information, learning disability support, loneliness support, isolation support, mobility aid support, parental support, physical exercise, refugee and asylum seeker advice and welfare support.
- severe and unstable mental health disorders.
How to refer
Referral methods: EMIS managed referral
Referrals are generated through EMIS via the elemental SPx route, as this referral is then generated into the new referrals listed on elemental, which is the social prescribing case management platform.
- Find the patient you wish to refer on EMIS and click on “my record”.
- Click on the "elemental SPx" button on the left-hand side of the screen.
- Click on "add new express referral" on the right-hand side of the screen.
- Confirm patient details are correct, as these auto-populate from EMIS.
- Add your PCN Hub under "refer to centre" (this then repopulates the establishment/surgery).
- Continue down the referral and add the reason (which auto-populates), or click on "other" to free text.
- Add any additional information needed to support the referral, such as medication needs or risks associated with the patient, or additional information such as whether the patient is hard of hearing, needs a translator, or whether you need to speak with the patients' carer etc.
- Click the box to state the patient consented.
- Click "generate the referral" once ready to submit.