The Healthwise Physical Activity Referral Scheme is a 12-week intervention programme available at all five leisure centres across Barnet. Patients will receive three assessments with the Healthwise team during this period at their chosen leisure centre, which aim to manage existing risk factors and long-term conditions through physical activity.
Healthwise utilises motivational interviewing, a behaviour change technique, to support individuals to make sustainable changes to lifestyle behaviours and increase physical activity levels. To monitor patients, physical measurements are taken in each assessment and signposting to structured activity sessions by Healthwise and/or to suitable activities that the leisure centres offer is also provided.
All patients referred to Healthwise by a GP or healthcare professional will require a membership (£20 per month or £4 pay or play) to participate in the programme. They must also agree for their data to be shared (see Community Services Data Set from NHS Digital in External Links for more information).
- Barnet resident or registered with a Barnet GP
- aged 18+
- initial assessment suggests patient is ready to change and is in need of a structured programme
- meets full eligibility criteria (see Downloads).
- referrals with an unstable and/or limiting physical or mental condition will be referred back to their GP to access specialist support
- blood pressure over 180/100 and/or resting heart rate over 100 bpm (these patients should be treated to stabilise their condition before being referred to a lifestyle service that includes physical activity)
- if the patient has diabetes, they should complete local diabetes education sessions prior to being referred
- patients on insulin or oral diabetes medications capable of inducing hypoglycaemia should be aware that changes in lifestyle may cause hypoglycaemia and should seek advice from their diabetes team
- if diabetic, HbA1C over 11% or 97 mmol/mol (these patients should be treated to stabilise their diabetic control before being referred to a lifestyle service)
- for patients with COPD, MRC breathlessness score greater than two (scores of three or above require a specialist programme).
How to refer
Referral methods: Email
Complete the Healthwise Referral Form and send to firstname.lastname@example.org
Where to find the form
BAR Global Documents > Referral Forms (BAR GLOBAL) > Healthwise Referral Form
Burnt Oak Leisure Centre
Barnet Copthall Leisure Centre
Finchley Lido Leisure Centre
Hendon Leisure Centre
New Barnet Leisure Centre
Review date: Wednesday, 02 August 2023